The hatred for stammering by all PWS has it’s origin in the kind of reaction that they are met with when talking to the world, or the non-PWS which are relatively more fluent ( I won’t say fluent ) then the PWS. A PWS will be at his / her ease when speaking to another PWS, because they respond just the way that is comfortable to the speaker.
This happens because non-PWS cannot relate to what goes behind a PWS mind. And they are always ill-prepared on how to deal with the situation when they have to communicate with a PWS. So, here’s a list of Do’s and Don’ts for the non-PWS, that may help to give rise to a better and productive conversation :
1. Do listen to him / her with patience. Give him / her time.
2. Do maintain a straight eye contact with him / her.
3. Do motivate and encourage him / her to do things, like extra-carricular, creative, with regards to speech or things related to work.
1. Don’t complete the sentences / words for a him / her.
2. Don’t make crooked faces by stretching your eye-brows or ears.
3. Don’t nod without understanding.
4. Don’t start speaking your sentence while he / she is stammering and is completing his / her sentence.
5. Don’t hesitate to talk to a PWS because he / she might stammer.