Are there any scholarship available for stutterers?

I know it is a weird thing to ask but if people can get scholarship for stuffs like being left handed or having a height less than 4 feet then why not me.

Obviously the scholarship can be expected from the western colleges. Please do let me know if you know of any such institutions.

Vivz, I think you should get in touch with Dr Akash Acharya..
    akash dot acharya at gmail dot com

May be he can give you some leads..

2. Akash 7 years ago

Well I know of scholarships that positively discriminates in favour of people who have disabilities. However there are two issues before this. Do we consider stammering as a "disability"? And more importantly, stammering perhaps can improve your chances provided your application is deserving in any case. Indian scholarships may not consider stammering as a disability as I don't think any civil surgeon will certify this which is needed to be labelled as "officially" disabled.

On second thoughts: TISA can certainly give you a scholarship to attend one of its communication workshop; you could also be a "Lead facilitator" at its workshops!!
    ;-0

Yes, I second the point stated by Dr.Akash.

Actually, 'stammering' is not recognised as any disability and hence disability certificate cannot be obtained.

Recently, the Indian Census 2011 was carried out across India and in that the rules stated that 'stammering' cannot be considered as a disability and any PWS CANNOT be categorised as a PWD i.e. Person With Disability.

On paper, they see us as a 'normal' person.
    And so officially, no benefits can be gained.

That's it.

I just can't figure out why they don't include a PWS under 'PWD' category?

What makes them think we're normal when actually we're not. !!!!

ofcourse…nothing can be expected from Indian Universities. What I wanted to know that, are there any such colleges in UK, US, or Aus which gives scholarship on the basis of stammering.

The reason a medical practitioner cannot certify a stammer as a disability because one can easily fake 'stammering'.
    And secondly stammering still continues to be a medical mystery.