In Delhi SHG, we were discussing about making SHG meetings more effective so that everyone can be benefited from it. We thought to make it more structured because we were facing following problems in SHG Meetings:
– Usually PWS don’t come to SHG meetings after a year. I don’t think they have learnt everything, I still feel lot to learn on Acceptance and Communication after spending almost five years with TISA.
– People are getting bored in SHG meetings, maybe they are not getting challenging activities.
– Ownership transferring: We see effective SHG meetings if any senior person lead the meeting. If they are busy for few weeks then meeting qualities are not good. Maybe a structured agenda is lacking what any new host can follow.
Following are three main suggestions to implement:
1) Goals: We can prepare Projects from Apna Hath Jagannath (AHJ) in two verticals ‘Acceptance’ and ‘Communication’, so that everyone will get goals. We have prepared this Google Doc (https://goo.gl/XN9PrG) from AHJ, please add more to it. Some projects will be done in the meeting, some will be done during weekdays.
2) Structured agenda: I think Agenda of SHG meeting should be structured as given below. Timings can be changed. There should be sub-host for activities in the meeting.
– Explain ground rules, TISA, & Techniques (15 mins)
– Activity on Acceptance (45 mins)
– Activity on Communication (30 mins)
– Feedback, Evaluation and Networking (30 mins)
You can add to this Google Doc (https://goo.gl/quafZY) to give your inputs to make structured agenda in a comprehensive manner.
3) Mentors to new PWS. I am seeing new people are getting lost as they require more support than a weekly SHG meeting in initial days.
Bringing change can be experimental and iterative process. We will be implementing structured agenda thing in this meeting in Delhi SHG and see the effectiveness of the meeting. In this world of Open Source, we are also launching the Open Documents (links given above) so that everyone can participate in planning phase and contribute to our stammering community as much as we can.
Waiting for overwhelming response on Google Docs!
Thanks and regards
Fan of the tagline ‘Haklao Magar Pyaar Se’