Last Friday a PWS Mr. Rakesh (name changed on request), met me and discussed the problem in detail. He is 22 years old, an IT professional & having this problem since childhood. After discussion I realized that he is yet to accept this issue from heart. Because when I asked him whether I may put his name on TISA site while narrating the discussion. He politely requested not do this from the time being.
We discussed the 3 mistakes that lead to stammering viz.
- Hasty or fast speech,
- Distorted or no breathing while talking,
- Talking in excitement.
I advised to overcome the above habits by doing the following:
- Home practice- speaking slowly, prolonging the words with mouth open voice loud for at least 30 minutes daily,
- Speaking standing in front of a mirror to observe the secondary habits in order to eliminate it,
- Inhale normally. Just when about to speak , blow out a little puff of air,
- Pause for 2 seconds before starting to speak,
- Speak slowly,
- Maintain eye contact.
- Start doing voluntary stuttering . To start, do it with the rikshaw pullers & subji wallas in mandis.
- He is doing the above and as per the feedback received He is improving and is happy.
But again I told him that TOTAL ACCEPTANCE FROM HEART IS THE FIRST STEP TOWARDS GETTING RID OF THE PROBLEM.(JASBIR SANDHU)